TM1/Cognos Security Integration Gremlin
Weird. That’s all I can say. We have been doing a significant project with complex calculations done in TM1 and a front end with Cognos BI reports. We now have the integration working perfectly with TM1 cubes performing brilliantly in BI, TM1 cubes able to have data entered into them from Cognos Workspace and security integrated from multiple AD servers via Cognos groups and roles to both Cognos and TM1.
Integrated Security-AD to Cognos to TM1
The last bit was the weird part. We secured the BI server and the report folder with a Cognos group. Put the corresponding AD groups into the Cognos group. Users can see the folder in Cognos Connection and could run reports. In TM1 we secured the data by adding the same Cognos group to Clients/Groups for the TM1 model. Then as users login, they are authenticated for the folder and reports. When they run a report they are then authenticated into TM1, added to Clients/Groups and a check mark entered automatically against the user in the group we added. Sweet! Well no.
Users were able to run reports, however, they were then getting an error XQE-GEN-0002 with something about an “unexpected exception occurred: cube blah not found when checking for IsUnderFed cube attribute”. The error actually had nothing to do with feeders. In TM1 security the user was being added, however, the checkbox was not being checked, thus the user did not have data access into TM1. Grrr! Not the way it is meant to work!
What we discovered was that by adding users manually to the ADMIN group in TM1 security they could run the report. Then we deleted the Cognos group, saved and exited TM1 security. Tried to run the report and got the error. Then went back into TM1 security and re-added the Cognos group and saved. Logged out of Cognos BI and logged back in and ran the report. Boom. All good now.
What is odd is that we got the error in the first place.