What to Consider to Upgrade from Perspectives to Planning Analytics for Excel (PAX/PAfE)
We are about to upgrade one of the largest TM1 sites in the world from using Perspectives to Planning Analysis for Excel (PAX/PAfE). This is a guide to what you should consider when upgrading from TM1 Perspectives to Planning Analytics for Excel.
Perspectives to Planning Analytics for Excel Upgrade Process
Generally speaking, the upgrade from TM1 Perspectives to Planning Analytics for Excel is very easy. Reports are opened, any Action Buttons are upgraded and then the report is saved. Done.
But for a very large site, there is a whole lot more to consider. Here is a list of what we have thought of.
What to Consider when Upgrading from TM1 Perspectives to Planning Analytics for Excel
To start with, here is a list of all the things we have thought of prior to starting the project:
- Super users
- Regular users
- Classroom training
- Recorded training
- Using TM1 Explorers
- The rollout of Planning Analytics for Excel
- When will it be done
- How will it be distributed
- Groups of users
- How to get PAW URLs embedded inside PAfE
- PAW Servers
- What are the PAW servers
- What models do each server support
- Version of each PAW server
- PA (TM1) Servers
- What are the TM1 servers
- What models are on each TM1 server
- Version of each PA server
- PASS (TM1Web) Servers
- What are the PASS servers
- What models does each PASS server connect to
- Version of each PASS server
- Big bang?
- Full backup of all reports prior to upgrade.
- How to gather all reports – especially those that are not uploaded to the TM1 Application folder.
- Geographic locations of users
- How are updates to PAW, PASS, PA (TM1 server) and PAX going to be managed (at least quarterly)?
- How do we manage the Dev/Test/Prod setup?
- Are new reports or analyses required?
- Does everything need to be migrated?
- Can we use PAW/TM1Web for some reports or analyses rather than moving to PAfE?
- Timelines for migration?
- Upgrade of Action buttons
- Upgrade process: Open, Test, Upgrade Action Button, Save to New Folder
- Any scripts that use Perspectives reports for mass distribution?
- User guides
- Admin documentation
There will undoubtedly be other things to consider when upgrading TM1 Perspectives to Planning Analytics for Excel. If you have any ideas, please drop us an email using the contact form below.
If you need help migrating to IBM Planning Analytics Cloud and upgrading all your Perspectives reports to work with Planning Analytics for Excel, give us a call. We’d love to hear from you.