Technotes are a great way of recording the “way we manage TM1”. If you have any of the following, you should be using Tech Notes to help you repeat what you do every time you do it:
- If you have multiple moving parts in TM1.
- That TM1 needs security managed a certain way.
- That backups need to be done manually.
- You have a certain method for deploying from your Non Production server to Production.
- You have a rollover to be performed each month.
- How you copy the Forecast version to an archive version.
- Something that just doesn’t work properly in TM1 that needs some regular TLC.
Documentation for TM1 can be a pain in the bum to write. The environment is invariably changing regularly and a 100 page epistle will probably be redundant before it is published. Technotes are a great way of getting around this problem.
Technotes for TM1
We work with loads of clients. At every one there are different ways of doing things (as much as we’d like it to be standardised!). To manage this we write, and encourage our clients to write, brief Tech Notes about something that needs to be managed.
Just fire up your favourite Word Processor, then do the following:
- Add a descriptive title,
- Enter your name and date for reference purposes,
- State what the situation is,
- Describe how to manage it or resolve the problem
- Add some screenshots
- Save it to a common folder somewhere on your TM1 server.
A technote should take no longer than 10 minutes to write. It doesn’t need to be perfect, but it needs to exist!