Planning Analytics Workspace (PAW) is on a release cadence of about every month from IBM. So each month, IBM will release a new version of the PAW server components, usually alongside a new version of Planning Analytics for Excel (PAX) . There will almost always be a new version of both when a new version of the TM1/Planning Analytics core is released. This note takes you through step by step how to upgrade the PAW server on Windows Server 2016. If you are doing a new installation of Planning Analytics Workspace, please see this post.
Please note that PAW and PAX should be kept roughly in sync as PAX uses PAW to communicate with the TM1 server, so please update PAW and PAX together.
Preparation for PAW Upgrade
- Check that there is enough space on the drive used by Docker. You will need at least as much as is consumed by ProgramData/Docker.
- Download the installation files from Passport Advantage or IBM’s Fix Central.
- Unpack the zip file.
- Rename the unzipped folder PAW_nnnn, where “nnnn” stands for the version number (say, “PAW_2041” for version 2.0.41). Removing the dots makes it easier to refer to!
- Move the folder to your PAW_Install_Kits folder, or whatever you have called the master folder where PAW is currently installed.
- Go to the installation files for the old version and copy the /config/paw.ps1 environment file to the config folder of the new installation location.
- Go to the installation files for the old version and copy the /config/certs folder to the config folder of the new installation location.
Update Planning Analytics Workspace
- Advise users that Planning Analytics Workspace (PAW) will not be available because of an upgrade. Also let them know that PAX will also not work because they use PAW to connect PAX to TM1 and that PAX will also be updated.
- Open Windows PowerShell as an Administrator.
- Navigate to the new installation location, for example E:\PAW_Install_Kits\PAW_2041\
- Type ./start.ps1 and press enter. This will start the installation process for Planning Analytics Workspace, making reference to your existing environment.
- Reply “Y” when you are prompted to install the Docker images. Note that this may take quite a while as these images are HUGE! I have seen this process take well over half an hour.
- Reply “Y” when you are prompted to open the Planning Analytics Administration tool.
- Check in PAW Admin that the paths and URI’s are all correct.
- Validate and Update Planning Analytics Workspace.
- Restart Planning Analytics Workspace as well.
- Test that PAW and PAX are working as expected.
- Advise users that the Planning Analytics Workspace update is now complete and that PAW and PAX are available again.
- Finally, now that the PAW upgrade is complete, you need to clean out the image files from the old installation of PAW. To do this run the /clean.ps1 or /clean.sh script from the OLD installation location. This will remove images for the release in which it is run, so make sure it is run for the old installation, not the one you have just upgraded to!
Remember that if you need to change the drive that the Docker images are stored on, you can do so by following the instructions in this post.
Also, if you are looking for instructions to upgrade the core of TM1/Plannign Analytics, please see this post.
If you have any questions or need some help with this upgrade, please let us at Infocube know. We’d be delighted to help you with your update.